Thursday, March 21, 2013

RECIPE OF THE WEEK

How many of you have gotten into GREEN SMOOTHIES?!
Well I finally have but I was hesitant and here is why...

I don't have time in the mornings to sit there and chop all of these yummy fruits.
I don't want to wake Michael with the loud noise of the blender.

Well. A solution I have found.
I was on Pinterest (of course) and found the idea to pre-make your smoothies and freeze them. {HERE}

GENIUS!!!

So we got all the things we wanted in our green smoothies (yes, Michael is going to try them too)
Tonight I sat and chopped all of my fresh fruits and put all of my ingredients into freezer baggies. 

Now there really are a ton of recipes for green smoothies but my philosophy is to just throw whatever the heck you want in there!
So here is what I put in mine...

I am starting out with just one green. Spinach.
We just got this frozen pack of mixed fruit. Strawberries,
Peach, Mango and Pineapple.
Of course fresh is always better but this was easier
for our first time.

Kiwi.
I found it easiest to peel the kiwi, cut off the ends, then
cut in half.
I put half a kiwi in each baggie.

I put half an apple in each baggie.
I used my Pampered Chef Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer.
It did it all for me.

And half a banana in each baggie. I only had 3 bananas so
2 baggies didn't get banana.
Basically throw all ingredients into each baggie. I made 8 pre-made smoothies. All will taste differently because some had more greens, some had more frozen fruit than others, and some, like I mentioned, didn't have bananas.

Now, when you make the smoothie you need to add:
-Juice (I just use sugar free apple juice)
-Stevia (sweetener. MUCH healthier and sweeter than sugar)

This is the Stevia I found at WalMart
Things you can also add that I do not:
-More greens such as Kale, Collards or Beet Greens
-Greek Yogurt (makes it thicker and I don't like mine too thick)
-Other liquids such as different kinds of milk or even just water
-Any fruits you want! Oranges, Lemon, you name it, you can throw it in!

Here is how they look all done!



There are TONS of recipes on Pinterest that you could easily put together and freeze or make fresh in the mornings.

With them all made like this I can blend them up in the evenings and stick them in the fridge so they are nice and ready in the morning to just grab and go!

Everyone enjoy your green smoothies!

1 comment:

  1. I have actually blended the smoothies and then put in one of those plastic freezer jam containers. My husband can just pull one out of the freezer in the morning and eat it a few hours after he gets to work.

    ReplyDelete